Monday, December 06, 2004

From Fajardo, Puerto Rico, Fall 2004

Hi Everyone
Well I have only been back on the boat, back in the water for one week today and I am already a mass of bruises, abrasions, stiff joints and sore muscles, which is normal for the first month or so getting back into life on the water. At least I haven’t fallen overboard and gone for an unexpected swim yet as I have done before. It is still kinda warm and very humid which will take a few weeks to adjust to but my skin loves it and I have a healthy glow about me, or is that the pulsing sunburn I am suffering? I arrived on Puerto Rico and spent the first couple of nights with friends at their house up in the rainforest. Anyone who has spent the night in the rainforest can confirm that it has to be noisier than Times Square on New Year’s Eve. Millions upon millions of horny animals were loudly trying to get the attention of a romantic partner for the night. I guess you could describe it as Nature’s singles club.
I spent a day getting the boat ready for launching, the keel needed some touch up and I applied a fresh coat of bottom paint to it. My diesel wouldn’t kick over, of course, which I discovered after it was back in the water. Although I had left my batteries on a solar panel and the wind generator to keep them charged while I was in the States, they were too discharged to turn over the engine. Although I am going through the normal, painful period of adjusting to life aboard at present, it feels absolutely wonderful feeling the deck move under me once again. Bringing the boat to her slip (I am in the slip next to where I was last season) renewed my energy and I could feel the horizons and the many islands beyond calling. There is no possible way I will be able to finish all my boat improvement projects before my friends arrive this Thursday from Europe for 3 weeks of sailing, but I have managed to get her in good sailing order. I am now working on some ideas for their visits as far as an itinerary goes. I will leave them the option as to deciding where they would like to make landfall. I would like to sail to St Kitts and St Martin, depends on the weather and them.
I was reading in my Cruising World magazine, it‘s 30th anniversary issue, with much interest. I read an article about the Caribbean and know many of the characters the author was talking about. He even talked about the French Pirate Queen, who used to come to my boat and cut my hair, one time doing it after having had way too much to drink (her). It was an interesting cut. According to the article she is well known for not allowing any guests aboard her boat to wear clothing, and no I have never been one of her guests. It seems I know a lot of very “colorful waterfront characters“, to me they were just someone interesting to share a drink with, didn‘t know I was hanging around with such famous people, or so the magazine article I read would have those farmers who’s dream it is to be doing what I am doing, and reading the magazine from their den in Iowa, or some other god forsaken place believe. Who knows, maybe if I continue my downward spiral to corruption I may be written about in a similar article, but not if I have to take off my clothes. I will definitely be cruising through St Thomas and St John next week visiting some of them. Anyways, just wanted to write and say hi, and managed to go on and on…
Love Marv

No comments: